SCIENCE IS NOT JUST FOR SCIENTISTS!
I have always said that no matter where my career choices take me, I will always find time to be an educator. While those choices are leading me towards a career in medicine, my love of teaching won't be pushed aside and I want you to be able to share some of that passion I have for learning.
I found a love for the life sciences and chemistry, and have an equal passion for helping others understand and appreciate the fascinating nature of our universe.
I firmly believe that the greatest impediment in learning science in the modern education system is the way it is taught. Science isn't found in books, it is living and breathing all around us. Science is not a collection of facts to be memorized and forgotten, but a lens by which to view the world and a way of thinking. It can be applied to every aspect of life regardless of your ambitions or life goals.
After 2-3 sessions, each of my students will receive a personalized study plan to help you succeed in areas that you are having difficulty, or just want to find a way to improve. I believe that active teaching is as important as active learning, and because everyone learns differently I tailor my approach to you SPECIFICALLY. I have experience teaching complex concepts and ideas in science to non-science oriented students in a way that is relevant and applicable. Together we will find the best way for you to succeed.
WHY LEARNING SOMETIMES FALLS FLAT
In our modern system of education, we are often distracted by the need to adhere to standardized test preparation in order for schools to receive funding and maintain their credentials. This approach fails the student by substituting true learning and understanding with the memorization of facts set to a rather narrow standard. Its no wonder that many students today are having difficulty applying concepts they have learned to real life, situations, and subjects.
I want to help you learn by teaching you to understand the fundamental concepts behind what you are learning; in other words, long term retention and the ability to apply what you learn to new situations.
Study less, learn more!
- Graduated Summa Cum Lauda with honors with a B.A. in Biological Science from Florida State University
- M.B.A. from Florida State University
- Honors thesis covering topics in molecular genetics - a molecular biology approach in studying meiosis
- M.D. Florida State University College of Medicine (current student - expected graduation 2020)
- Two years of teaching Biology courses for Non-Science majors at FSU
- One year of teaching Biology Lab (Honors) for Science majors at FSU
- Four years teaching science as a private tutor.
- 5+ Years Teaching Non-Science related courses in writing and media
Florida State University
Florida State University