Hi I'm Sarah! I graduated with honors from Washington University in St. Louis and majored in Biochemistry. I received top grades in Chemistry and Biochemistry and have tutoring experience in both subjects. I am attending medical school in the fall and am grateful to have been accepted into seven MD programs so far.
I found my passion for teaching in high school when I coached an after-school chess program comprised of around 20 elementary and middle schoolers. I loved not only teaching but also enjoyed instilling the many character-building elements of chess such as forethought, work ethic, determination, and resiliency.
In college, I became a chemistry Residential Peer Mentor (RPM) where I helped groups of 10-15 freshman and sophomores prepare for their exams and weekly quizzes by clarifying concepts and guiding them through problems. Unlike other academic resources, RPMs were assigned to a student dormitory, and this unique environment cultured a sense of close community among the students. I mentored students not just in chemistry but also helped them with their study skills and time management.
My tutoring approach is very personalized and tailored to each student. I have worked with students from various backgrounds and realized that I must first meet students where they are at to best help them understand. I will strive to help you master the concept by going back to the fundamentals so that you can truly understand the material.
I hope to be there for you not just as a tutor but also as a mentor as you journey towards your goal. Especially if you have questions about applying to medical school, I am more than willing to guide you through that process. But my goal is to help you become the best student you can be, so I will also help you with life skills such as scheduling, studying smarter, and using your resources wisely.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions, and I look forward to getting to you know you!
Credentials For Tutoring In Each Subject Area
- First undergraduate biochemistry TA for my professor who historically only permitted graduate students to TA.
- Created hand drawn study guides for the class which was widely used among the students.
- College chemistry tutor for three years, mentored around 10-15 freshman and sophomores.
- Awarded the Chemistry Residential Peer Mentor (RPM) of the year award in 2019 which is given out to one RPM per year.
- Experience grading general chemistry exams as the head grader for my section
- Top ranked female under 21 in the United States of America from 2013-2015
- Life National Master with a current rating of 2239
- Silver medal at the World Youth Chess Championships for females under 10 in 2007
- National 10th grade co-champion at the National K-12 Chess Championship in 2012
Washington University in St Louis
Sarah is a superstar. I highly recommend her. My child thinks she is great.